The Data Protection Africa Summit
The Africa Digital Rights’ Hub has under its Capacity Building, Advocacy, Sensitization & Awareness Programme worked towards bringing together regulators, academic researchers, stakeholders, policy makers, regional, industry experts, and international bodies to address data protection and privacy issues on the Continent.
Unfortunately, as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have had to postpone our 2020 in-person Data Protection Africa Summit to next year. In order to however take advantage of this new normal and continue to effectively engage with our key stakeholders, we are launching DPAS Virtual as a precursor to our in-person summit.
DPAS virtual is a free event that is targeting individuals and communities in the data protection and privacy ecosystem, who would have otherwise wanted to participate in the in-person events but are unable. The 2020 DPAS Virtual is scheduled for the 5th & 6th of November, 2020 under the theme “Is Africa’s Data Protection in Crisis?”.
Taking into consideration the language of the data protection and privacy community, the event will be held over two(2) days with English and French Streams. Both streams will consist of: A Regulator’s Progress Dialogue ; An Industry Expertise Session; and A Data Protection Master Class. The program outline for the two-day event can be found on the pages that follow. Kindly note that all times are in GMT.
Expected Outcome of the Summit
- Influence the development of relevant national and regional framework for data protection.
- Build industry capacity to ensure data protection compliance on the Continent.
- Formulate key lessons and issues for advocacy.
- Explore issues for regional cooperation and collaboration between African regulators, policy makers and their counterparts in the rest of the world.
- Create opportunities for strategic collaboration, partnership and cooperation amongst all stakeholders.
- Showcase tools for data protection compliance.