The Data Protection Africa Summit
The protection and safeguarding of personal data is increasingly becoming a challenge in the 4th Revolution. Countries around the world are therefore calling on data controllers, users and processors of personal data to be prudent in the management, storage and use of data. More recently Africa has also witnessed an increase in this drive, with countries and industries pushing for more efficient data protection and privacy regimes.
In further advancing the course of data protection and privacy in Africa, the annual Data Protection Africa Summit (the first of its kind) is being organised by the Africa Digital Rights’ Hub (ADRH) to bring data controllers, processors, tech companies, policy makers, regulators, innovators, business communities and individuals together to discuss and proffer solutions to the emerging issues on data protection/privacy.
The objective is to build capacity, facilitate collaboration, showcase expertise and explore the issue of data protection/privacy on the African continent by creating an enabling environment for the collection and use of personal data as a strategic and critical resource for socio-economic development in the 4th Industrial Revolution.
This edition, organised in collaboration with the Commission de Protection des données personnelles (CDP),Senegal, will be held from 11th – 15th November, 2019 in Senegal under the theme, ‘DEEPENING PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION IN AFRICA’..
The Summit will be one of the largest gatherings on data protection and privacy in Africa.
Expected Outcome of the Summit
- Influence the development of relevant national and regional framework for data protection.
- Build industry capacity to ensure data protection compliance on the Continent.
- Formulate key lessons and issues for advocacy.
- Explore issues for regional cooperation and collaboration between African regulators, policy makers and their counterparts in the rest of the world.
- Create opportunities for strategic collaboration, partnership and cooperation amongst all stakeholders.
- Showcase tools for data protection compliance.