The Data Protection Act No. 24 of 2019 (the Act) was signed into law in November 2019 and sets out the regulatory framework for data protection in Kenya. It sets out guidelines on how personally identifiable data can be used, stored or shared.
Among other things, data subjects have the right to:
- be informed of the use to which their personal data is to be put;
- access to their personal data in the custody of the data controller or data processor;
- object to the processing of all or part of their personal data;
- the correction of false or misleading data; and
- the deletion of false or misleading data.
Ms. Immaculate Kassait, MBS is the first the Data Protection Commissioner