Michael Abtar LLB (Hons), Pg. Dip Law, Cert. DPO
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
IG Smart’s Managing Director and Principal Consultant, Michael Abtar, is a lawyer by background and Certified Data Protection Officer with over 10 years experience of working in the information law and governance arena. He has led international, national, regional and sub-regional private and public sector programmes and projects, and is recognised by his peers as a privacy and data protection thought-leader. He frequently shares the stage as a key note speaker and moderator with some of the most respected names in the areas of data protection (including Data Protection Commissioners from around the world) and information technology (including C-Suite level representatives from Google, Microsoft and Facebook).
- Leading IG Smart’s commission to deliver Nectar’s end-to-end GDPR Implementation Programme (Nectar holds 20 million loyalty customer records – the largest consumer database in the UK)
- Leading IG Smart’s commission to deliver AIMIA Inc.’s Global GDPR Implementation Programme (AIMIA holds over 100 million unique loyalty customer records)
- Developing NHS England’s National Privacy by Design Framework
- Leading IG Smart’s commission to risk assess and remediate Yell Ltd’s Information & Cyber Security Policy and Standard Operating Procedure to ensure alignment with the current business model and international best practice.
- Developing NHS England’s Information Governance Support Package for Test Beds for New Models of Care, and delivering the package in conjunction with KPMG.
- Developing the legal and technical framework for Southwest London’s Better Care Fund Data Sharing Programme (involving 5 million citizens records).
- Former chair of the London Freedom of Information Forum
- Former co-Chair of the NHS London Information Governance Forum
- Former Strategic advisor to Ghanaian Data Protection Commission – key note speaker and moderator at the commissions maiden Data Protection Conferences (e.g. moderating a plenary discussion on Machine Learning and A.I. with Google’s Vice President of Search & Engineering).
- Drafted a framework for healthcare information governance in Ghana.
- Delivering data protection workshops with the UK ICO Head of Enforcement
- Training certified Data Protection Officers from global and EU based organisations including, Capgemini, Doosan & Babcok, The Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service, AIMIA Inc, Arnold Clarke and Daxtra,