Sabrina Sonaram, LLB (Hons.), LPC, MHRM, CIPD
Associate Director, Baker Tilly Mauritius
Sabrina joined Baker Tilly Mauritius as an Associate Director in January 2018 leading the regulatory compliance, legal and training advisory service lines. Sabrina has over 15 years of legal and regulatory
compliance experience in the financial services sector and private sector across the globe.
She is legally qualified solicitor holding an LLB(Hons) in Law from Kingston University and the Legal Practice Course from the College of Law in Bloomsbury, London. After practising law in the UK, specialising in
contentious and non-contentious corporate, contract, property law (residential and corporate acquisitions) and employment law, Sabrina then took up the role of heading and managing an advisory team ensuring
legal, and regulatory compliance in the private, public and Government sectors in the UK, Europe, Asia Pacific and the Middle East at a ‘Top 25 Employer of Choice’ international organisation.
Sabrina comprehensively assesses the legal and regulatory compliance processes using a global methodology to provide assurance to mitigate legal and compliance control deficiencies. She also has extensive experience in legal advisory by structuring property procurement contracts and frameworks in order to protect global clients’ interests from investment structuring and registration adherence both
in Mauritius and across a variety of jurisdictions.
Sabrina went on to extend her professional expertise with a Postgraduate Masters Diploma in Human Resource Management from Kingston University and is an Associate member of the Chartered Institute
of Professional Development.
Sabrina utilizes her expertise to advise and deliver a range of regulatory compliance and legal solutions to global clients including assisting a range of projects pertaining to financial institutions regulated under
the Financial Services Commission. Sabrina actively delivers a range of courses on financial and regulatory compliance and legal areas from effective planning and managing property procurements, arbitration
to leading the legal and compliance structuring of financial corporations in a contentious and non-contentious arena.
Sabrina is also committed to community service. She has been active in providing legal and regulatory compliance assistance to several NGOs in Mauritius.
Offers extensive legal and regulatory compliance experience including:
1. Drafting, vetting and advising on legal contractual documentation.
2. Liaising and leading property acquisitions on a global scale (residential and commercial developments) alongside the Economic Development Board in Mauritius.
3. Working with the Regulators (Financial Services Commission) and their licensees on adherence to regulatory and legislative requirements.
4. Adopting and implementing advanced legal compliance internal frameworks.
5. Delivering legal and regulatory compliance seminars.
6. AML/CFT and data privacy/protection projects.
7. GDPR and data protection training events.
8. Authored various articles and publications on legal and data protection awareness.